Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Puddle Ducks

I went down to the local farmers market on Saturday. It is held at the harbor Quay and there where some interesting looking boats on the water, there was a small crowd gathered to watch so I decided to ask about them I was informed that they are called Puddle Ducks and they are small sailboats that can be built for under $300.00. They're going to have a race in August and they where out testing there handiwork. It is a project going on in town right now to get kids interested in building and sailing. I think it's a wonderful project I love to see kids getting involved in making things I think it can really build confidence. Anyway here are some photos..
This guy was the first one out

I noticed this small group and decided to go and ask what it was all about

The navy watching the proceedings, the man I talked to and I were wondering if they were there to scope out the next fleet of boats for the navy. I decided to go and ask what they where up to and found out that some of the local cadets are making these boats and they where there to support them, thank goodness I thought maybe the economy was in rougher shape than I thought.

Not much wind in the harbor they had to get there paddles out

 I thought this was for kids, ha ha.  I asked what they where made of and found it they are plywood with a tarp for the sail.

   Pretty cool stuff I'm exited to see the race in August. The farmers market was pretty good there was live music this time and a fair amount of tables, not as many as they get in the summer but I had fun wandering around.
Such a lovely warm day

Live Music

These where in the window at a local shop I thought they where really funny. They where called red neck wine glasses and I think they could be totally DIYed for next to nothing and would be the perfect vessels for my homemade dandelion wine, which seems to be doing well the boyfriend has kind of taken over which is okay with me because I learned pretty quick I was in way over my head

I wanted to check out the maritime museum but it wasn't open and there  was no sigh with hours or anything so I'll have to try and look it up.

Search and rescue boat I think he was keeping an eye on the puddle ducks.

They had a big tsunami and earthquake safety thing going on and where demonstrating search and rescue equipment on the clock tower (there is a big clock at the top of this tower).
 After I was done having a wander at the market and all the other happenings I started making my way home and got some pictures on the way.
Found some mustard

 Purple dead nettle it doesn't look like much when you just pass by but on closer inspection it has these lovely little flowers .

I was having so much fun watching these little birds there where a whole bunch of them flitting around, I think they must have there nests up in the roof

They would disappear into these little cavities in the roof and pop there heads in and out it was like whack a mole you never knew which hole they would pop back out of
Speaking of birds nesting there is a little nest with four eggs in it in my parents carport. We're a little concerned that the mum and dad have abandoned the nest there hasn't been any sign of them in a few days now. I climbed up the step ladder to take a quick peek the other day and snapped a quick picture.
I hope we're wrong about them being abandoned but things don't look good and it really doesn't sound like there's a lot that can be done if they are. I was very exited about baby birds this summer but I guess these things happen.



1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww. I hope the birdies parents come back soon for them. That is so sad if they were indeed abandoned.

    ReplyDelete